About Me

My photo
Plover, WI, United States

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

MIDTERM PORTFOLIO POST

  • I have learned quite a bit already this semester. In past classes instructors have said 'here is this thing, draw it.' So, to actually be shown what is underneath what you're drawing, and what makes up that figure, is extremely helpful. I have learned more anatomy and terms than I have ever learned in any science class, and I appreciate that. I have also increased my knowledge of the human figure so I would be able to draw it from memory, which is something I have never been able to do.
  • My strengths and weaknesses are slightly sketchy at the moment, meaning that I am not sure how to critique them. For my drawings, I feel that I am pretty good with the 3-5 minute gestures because it gives me just the right amount of time to get all the information down. However, my 30 second gestures are a different story because I do not allow myself to enough time to get the full figure sometimes. Another area I believe I am doing well in are my proportions. Most of my drawings seem quite accurate, or close too it. Another weakness I would include is my understanding of planes. The last two class periods with long drawings, I have had an odd angle of the pelvis and have struggled with it. Understanding that form and the planes that make that up will greatly improve my drawings. As for the manikin, I think there are at least two areas that I could improve on that. One is the thickness of my muscle pieces. It is hard sometimes to see the thickness of the pieces in the book, and I feel like my pieces get a little big sometimes. The other weakness spot could be the curves of the muscles. I noticed first with my back, then the gluts, that my muscles lack curvature sometimes, so being more organic with them would be better.
  • There are a few things I would like to learn or get better at. The first thing I'd like to improve on is definitely my lines. I do not like my lines at all, and they often look pretty flat. Some variation in thickness and weight would be good and improve my drawings drastically. Another area of learning, or just getting better at, as previously mentioned, is my understanding of the pelvis and how to draw it from every angle. The front and back view are relatively simple, but once the model moves in an abnormal position, it takes a little thinking to figure it out.
  • Overall, the first half of the semester has gone pretty good. At times I have found myself getting a little bored with the repetition of drawing for 3 hours, but I should stick with it and focus on working on my weaknesses. I enjoyed the first half, so I am looking forward to what the second half of the semester brings.


Link to image site:
http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt147/BSoccer1030/

No comments:

Post a Comment