About Me

My photo
Plover, WI, United States

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

#3 Artist Emulation... M.C. Escher



The third project of the semester was an emulation of one of our three influencial artists from our paper. With my three artists being Escher, Lichtenstein and a lesser-known John Robertson, I chose to go with M.C. Escher. I have always been drawn to Escher mostly because is work is very geometric and mathematical, which have both always been a strong point in my abilities.

One of Escher's trademarks of his work are his tessellations, so I wanted to try to duplicate that idea. My thought was that I could handle the tessellation theme, so I wanted to make one that started as one object and morphed into another. I soon found out that this was a lot harder than I had bargained for!

Two other aspects of the piece that coordinate with Escher are the geometric block forms on the left, and the overall narrative story that moves through the work. Escher has many geometric architectural forms, all very blocky, and black, white, and/or gray. In regards to the theme, Escher always has strange little figures in his pieces that create narratives which will never be confirmed or denied...they seem there just to intrigue the viewer and make their own story. I feel that I emulated these aspects of Escher's works quite well, although I do wish the tessellation would have been longer and I had been able to do more ink-ed graphic pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment