About Me

My photo
Plover, WI, United States

Saturday, November 28, 2009

T-Giving 1-Day Week


The BIG shell cross contour drawing was a bit of a struggle...once again, I was not crazy about the shell I had to draw. Like the first one, this shell was very smooth and plain looking, making it a little boring to try to work from. Aside from my feelings towards the shell, I do not think the drawing was a strong one. I felt one of the only decent aspects of it was my line weight, being dark at the closer areas and fading to light farther away.
There are plenty of not-so-good areas of this shell drawing. I felt it was harder to get the correct proportions with the larger paper. the front and back are pretty good, but the middle section (the largest of the smaller swirls) is way too long. I also thought that the angle I chose to draw from could have been more exciting. This long axis direction is plain and very simple. The final bad aspect is that the lines are very even and conformed, making it very exact and boring.

One the next drawing I have quite a few things to work on. My first drawing was very boring and a little flat, so I need to make it more alive and playful. I will do this by not making sure my lines are not completely erased and uniform. Using my whole arm, and not just my wrist, will also help with my line variation. Distancing the space between each of my lines will also help it feel more alive and add to the surface variation. The final thing will be to choose a different, more intense angle that allows me to capture more of the shell's unique aspects.

No comments:

Post a Comment